Safety Rules and First Aid – We running or play around in the house or anywhere. Suddenly we bumped into the furniture event that happens unexpectedly and causes injury is called an accident. Accidents can be avoided by being a little more careful and by following the safety rules and first aid.
Carelessness on the road can lead to accidents. Thus safety on the road is essential. Drivers and pedestrians should follow the traffic rules. We must read and follow the road signs for our safety. As the population is increasing day by day, the number of vehicles is also increasing due to which, many road accidents are taking place. At such a time, the help given to the victim who saves his/her life is known as First Aid.
Main aims of first aid are:
- To save a life.
- To relieve pain.
For cuts and scratches
- Wash away all the dirt around the wound.
- Clean the affected area with cotton wool soaked with an antiseptic lotion.
- Place a thick pad of cotton wool on the wound and press it with your thumb and fingers.
- Wrap a sterile gauze bandage around the wounded area.
- When the skin is cut by dirty or rusted objects, germs may enter and cause a dangerous disease called tetanus. Consult a doctor for an anti-tetanus injection.
For nose bleeding
- Make the victim sit upright in a comfortable position on a chair with his head lean forward.
- Press the bleeding side of the nose firmly and ask the victim to breathe through the mouth.
- Keep an ice-pack or wet cloth on the nose and on the head of the victim.
- A little bit of bleeding from the nose is harmless but if the bleeding is heavy, consult the doctor.
- Sometimes due to the twisting of join, muscles near it swell up. This is called the sprain. Sprains are very painful.
- Keep on applying ice-packs or ice-cubes on the injured joint.
- A crepe bandage can be used to support the joint and prevent unnecessary movements.
- A crack or break in the bone is called a fracture.
- Keep the patient calm, comfortable and consult the doctor.
- To provide support, a pillow, cardboard, newspaper or a piece of wood can be tied around the injured part. This is called a splint. Splint in addition to providing support also prevents unnecessary movement.
- A sling made from a triangular piece of cloth can be used to provide support to the broken bone.
You are reading about Safety Rules and First Aid
See also: Do you know natural food as medicine?
Burns can be caused by boiling water, steam, hot objects, fire, firecrackers, and some chemicals. They may be minor or severe. First aid can be given for only minor burns. Severe burns should be treated only by a doctor. In case of burns following first aid can be given to the victim;
- Keep the burnt area under cool running water for 10-15 minutes or until the pain subsides.
- Apply an antiseptic cream over the burnt area to prevent infection.
- In case, if antiseptic cream is not available, make a paste of baking soda and water. Apply it on the affected area. This provides relief from burning sensations.
- If the victim’s skin gets severely burnt and blisters are formed, we should not prick them, otherwise, they can get infected. Rush the victim to a doctor.
- In case of chemical burn such as acid, remove the clothing from the affected area and wash the wound with plenty of water, rush the victim to a doctor.
For snake bite
When a snake bites a person, it injects poison into the blood of the victim. Through the blood, the poison spreads into the whole body. The following treatment must be given immediately to the victim as the poison can kill the person.
- A tourniquet (a piece of cloth) may be applied, just above the bite, to stop the flow of blood to the heart. This may help to slow down the spread of poison.
- Rush the victim to a doctor.
For dog bite
- Wash the wound of the victim with soap and water to remove germs as the virus which causes rabies or hydrophobia (WATER FEAR) may be carried in by the saliva of an infected animal.
- Apply an antiseptic cream to prevent infection and cover the affected area with a sterile bandage. Rush the victim to a doctor.
For fire fighting
Fire is very useful and without it, we can’t think of life. On the other hand, it causes accidents if it goes out of control or is used carelessly. A fire can occur due to different reasons.
A few them are given below:-
- Carelessness while handling matchstick, candles, firecrackers, etc. can lead to a fire.
- Leakage of gas while cooking food also causes the fire.
- Defective electrical equipment or wires can also cause a fire.
Following methods should be used to put out the fire:
- In case of fire caused due to electrical faults do not throw water over it, because electricity can flow through water. Put out the fire by using sand or fire extinguisher. In a similar way fire caused by petrol is also extinguished by throwing sand or mud.
- If a person’s clothes catch fire, throw water on him, make him roll on the ground. Cover him with a thick blanket. This cuts off the oxygen supply and puts out the fire.
- Inform the nearest fire station.
A CALL AWAY
Keep the telephone number of your nearest police station, fire station, doctor and chemist handy. So that in case of an emergency you can immediately call for help.
- Fire Station-101
- Police Station- 100
Things to remember:-
- Accidents may occur anywhere and at any time.
- We must follow the safety rules on the road and follow road signs.
- Help given to a patient before the arrival of a doctor is called first aid.
- Never neglect a wound as germs may cause infection.
- You must approach the doctor after the first aid.
You should know about ‘Safety Rules and First Aid‘, it may be needed at any time.